Sunday, March 22, 2009

Our Garden

Here are my guys hard at work digging the rocks/dirt out of the garden so we can haul in about 8 inches of topsoil so as not to have to plant in rocky soil. I've been working with rocky soil for 4 years now and am thrilled to have nice topsoil to work with this summer. I might even add a truck load of manure (organic, of course) to have extra fertilizer. The boys LOVE to dig in the dirt. They may have been born in the city, but they love to do things country boys would do. Maybe that's because their mom grew up in the country. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl! Having a garden is what keeps me sane in an otherwise crazy world called the city. I am enjoying the advantages of having amenities close by (a lot closer than an hour away), but I do miss the open spaces from time to time.

In anticipation of the garden plot being ready, I've planted a few things inside: eggplant, onions, cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, squash, pumpkin, zucchini, watermelon, Serrano chilies, ... I think that is about it. We have strawberries and raspberries in the garden already and will plant carrots, peas, potatoes (for the first time in our garden), green beans, corn.

I'm happy to report that I am getting better. I slept longer periods of time without coughing. Now, to get the kids healthy so I can really sleep through the night! Trevor decided he was too sick to go to Primary today and BriAnn has a runny nose that would keep her out of Nursery so the three of us stayed home. What a perfect time to do some journaling!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe one day I'll have a garden too. You should move to our side of the water. Lots of open and forested spaces to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg and I both love gardening too. What do you expect though? We both grew up on farms.

    Thanks for finding our blog. It's always great to connect with family, even if we've never actually met before.

    Good luck with your garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again. I just realized that for some reason the above comment by me posted under my bosses email. Oops! Anyways, I jsut noticed in your comment on Brandon's blog that your daugher is allergic to soy, nuts, milk and eggs. My little boy is allergice to all of those things too! We have weight gain issues with him also. He is just so skinny.

    What tricks have you found for substitutions? I've become pretty good at adjusting our meals, but new ideas are alway appreciated.

    ReplyDelete